PARIS TRAVEL GUIDE + TOP 10 PLACES TO VISIT

8/29/2016
Bonjour! If you have been catching up with my blog you will know that I went to Paris this summer and I had the best time there.
Today I though it would be a good idea to make my Paris Travel Guide + Top 10 Places To Visit. Let's start.



I arrived to Paris on the 3rd of August around 9pm, so it was quite late. Therefore my family and I went straight to Saint-Germain-en-Laye, where we stayed the whole trip.

Even if you are staying in Paris I definitely recommend you go at least one day to visit Saint-Germain. It is a small town right next to Paris and it is beautiful.

Where to eat in Saint-Germain?

  • La Fabrica de Luca: A coffe shop with a lot of delicious drinks, smoothies and ice creams.
  • Le Phare St. Louis: An affortable and delicious creperie. (We went once to have dinner and it was absolutely delicious).

4th of August:

We stayed and visited Saint-Germain, we went to this big garden in the city and we just wandered around. Then we also went to Carrefour (a shopping center) and we bought food and some goodies.

5th of August:

We finally went to visit Paris! We decided to go to the Louvre (museum) and in the afternoon to the Tuileries Gardens and the Place de la Concorde. Right after that to the Champs-Élysées (a boulevard surrounded by a garden).

My experience:

  • Louvre: The museum and its surroundings is beautiful. Bear in mind if you don't like art or just museums in general this will be a pain in the ass (duh), but I think it is a must visit place (although your feet end up hurting like hell because it is huge). And by the way people under 18 have a FREE entry.
  • Tuileries Gardens: I completely loved walking through this garden, it was stunning and one thing you have to do is sit down in one of those green metal chairs around the fountain and relax for a couple of minutes, it is so cool.
  • Eiffel Tower: We actually didn't go inside because there were too many people and we just though it wasn't worth the time. But we took some photos of it and it was fun.



6th of August:

We went to Montmartre, a beautiful neighbourhood. We checked out the Sacre-Coeur (The Basilica of the Sacred Heart) and to the Place du Tertre (a place where all the artists are, for me it was absolutely amazing).
Before arriving there we also saw Le mur des je t'aime (the wall of love), a wall where you can see I Love You written in hundreds of languages.
In the afternoon we went to the Luxemburg gardens.

My experience:

  • Montmartre and Place du Tertre: This was one of my favourite things of Paris, hands down. It is such a beatiful place full of art and history, it is amazing.
    Fun fact: artists like Van Gogh or Renoir lived in the Place du Tertre.
  • Luxemburg gardens: Such huge and beautiful gardens, it was stunning.Also, one thing parisians love to do in these gardens is lay down or sit down on those green chairs and read, I swear every parisian was reading with their feet on the grass.

7th of August:

The 7th of August was the first Sunday of the month, which means that a lot museums were free. So of course we had to take advantage of that.
We decided to go to the Musée d'Orsay first. Then when we were done, we looked for the Pont des Arts.
In the afternoon we went to the Musée Pompidou, and then to see the outside of the Notre Dame cathedral because it's very close to the museum, and the Alexander III bridge.

My experience:

  • Orsay Museum: This one is way smaller than the Louvre of course, but personally I like the style of painting in this one way better, but that is just my art preference. There is also a nice view of Paris. Overall a great experience.
  • Pont des Arts (the locks bridge): After searching for quite a long time for this bridge we finally got there and locked our lock and took some cool pictures, and then of course we threw the key to the river Seine.
    Where to find it: Don't look for a whole bridge full of locks because they took that one down some years ago and now it is brand new with no locks, the locks are one or two bridges away, they are located in a part of a bridge behind the sculpture of this man in a horse.
  • Musée Pompidou: This museum was quite an interesting one, there is definitely some different styles and this one really just depends on your taste. Persnally I didn't dislike it, but I think I would have prefered going to the Palais de Tokyo (another museum) just because I think I would have liked it better.

    Something I would like to say: If you go there, realise that each piece of art makes you think, it makes you wonder. And I think that is amazing. I am saying this because I heard some people say that this wasn't art that it was crap and stupid things like that, and they don't realise that one of the many amazing things art does is make you think.

    And this museum has some amazing views of paris and the eiffel tower included.

  • Alexander III Bridge: This one is the most ornate bridge in Paris, it is beautiful and you can take some cool pictures there.
8th of August:

We spent the whole morning in this neighbourhood I unfortunatly can't remember (sorry), then we went to the Promenade Plantée.
That evening we went on a cruise in the river Seine.

My experience:

  • Promenade Plantée (aka Coulée verte René-Dumont): It is an elevated linear park built on top of obsolete railway infrastructure, full of plants and flowers and views of the neighbourhood. You can take some very cool pictures there.
  • Cruise in the river Seine: This is for me a must do thing, it was awesome I absolutely loved it. (Click here to go to the website, and it is the cheapest option I found and it was amazing so there you go, also if you want to see the Eiffel Tower right next to you choose to Board next to the Eiffel Tower like I did.



9th of August: 

We went to La Défense, and we went to Des Quatre Temps, a beautiful, huge shopping centre. I loved being there.
And there you can also see a perfect view of the Arch de Triomphe.
Definitely a great place for shopping, it is were I bough my Etam customizable eyeshadow palette.



10th of August:

This was our last day in Paris and Saint-Germain which was so sad but I was so happy too because I had the best time there.
We decided to go to Versailles.

My experience:

  • Versailles: We decided we had to go to visit the Palace of Versailles just because everyone who goes to paris also goes there, so we though we had too. Well, it was kind of a disappointment. I'm not saying you shouldn't go, I think it is great to visit the palace. The problem is the following:
    To enter there is this endless queue, and when I say endless, I mean endless. The thing is once you get to the last part of the queue you are already so tired, you are no longer excited to see the palace and its gardens or whatever. And you also get hungry, so the first thing we did when we got in was get some food. And very important, grab some sort of way of transport, whether it is a bicycle or the little trains to go from one place to another, because going walking it is hell, yes, I went walking the whole time.

    And that was our fault I guess but overall I just didn't enjoy it at all, I prefered the luxemburg gardens over the ones inside the palace, and the palace was pretty yes but I just didn't enjoy it. 
    But again, I guess it's something everyone should visit.





And then I took a plane and headed back to Barcelona with this beautiful sunset.



Get the best views in Paris:

If you want to get the best views, definitely go to the Montparnasse Tower.
Yes, it is a bit expensive and that's why we didn't go, we just couldn't afford it. But if you can you need to go there. Take the elevator to the rooftop and you will see to best view of the Eiffel Tower and the paris skyline. Which personally I think is 10 times better than going on top of the Eiffel Tower.

My thoughts on Paris:

I have said it on previous posts, but I will repeat it, I am obsessed with Paris, I can't wait to go back I absolutely loved the experience.

Being spanish in Saint-Germain/Paris:

You may be wondering, what the hell I mean and what am I saying. Here's the thing, spanish people (in general) we are definitely outgoing and we love to be a little crazy and stuff (description of a typical spanish), and we have dinner late at 9 or 10 pm and we talk "loudly" and stuff. And living in Saint-Germain this 10 days was so interesting because I guess we (my family and I) didn't quite fit in, which I loved because it made me realise how different it is. (I know everything I just said was quite random but I just wanted to say it). It was definitely so much fun. (By the way by writing this I am not saying I was offended or whatever, definitely not, I actually loved the experience).

If you are spanish let me know if you can relate.

TOP 10 PLACES TO VISIT IN PARIS:

  • Gardens: Tuileries Gardens & Luxemburg Gardens
  • Montmarte (Place du Tertre included)
  • The Louvre
  • Orsay Museum
  • Promenade Plantee
  • Cruise in the river Seine
  • La Défense (and Des Quatre Temps)
  • Disney Land Paris (hopefully I'll go next time because it is definitely a must visit place)
  • Montparnasse Tower
  • Latin Quarter



And that was the end of my Paris Travel Guide, I really hope you enjoyed it!

If you want to see my Paris Travel Photo Diary click here.


No comments:

Powered by Blogger.